Friday, February 13, 2009

men follow leaders

...
I spoke at a men's retreat for Trinity Lutheran Church in Midland, MI last weekend. Did the Seven Seasons of a Man's Life seminar for them. I woke up Friday morning for my flight and knew I was sick. Sore throat, sinuses. By the time I got up Friday night, I was pretty stuffed up. Somehow (HS, of course) I made it through the weekend. The guys were awesome. And the most awesome was their pastor.
Gerald Ferguson has a heart of gold, and you can see it in his men. I've been to many churches, and it's amazing to me how often the men are a reflection of their pastor. If the pastor is aloof, the men are too. If he's arrogant, his men are not fun to be around. But when he is kind, considerate, and visibly loves Jesus, you can tell it from looking at his men. Men follow leaders.
Like Paul said in his letter to the Corinthians:
Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ.
I would add a corollary: If you are in a position of leadership, follow the example of Christ, because others will do as you do.
===

No comments:

Post a Comment